Google

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Tahoe Rim Trail 50K 2007 Results/Review



A fantastic year at the Tahoe Rim Trail this year. The course record may have been broken, the 50K was even longer than before...., the weather stayed below 80, and there was no snow!
I passed Scott Dunlap at mile 12, and he seemed to be in fine form for his 100 miler. On top of all that I took off 2 hours and 20 minutes off of my race time there two years ago, a successful day all in all. My friend and coach Ty Strange came barreling in at 5:45, in 13th place overall, and 1st in his age group.... what a day
I also met a man carrying a digital recorder taking notes and going to write a review of the 'Rim Trail race this year....but I can't remember his name or site. That must mean that he is one up on me with that recorder.
This year everything seemed to click for me, from wearing number 111 to passing a guy in the last 1 mile of a 50K race to take 20th place overall. I ended up getting 7th, I think, in my age group. Wow, I was pumped after this race.
Most remarkable for most folks was that the finishers medal was a bottle opener, that could conveniently be used to open the commemorative bottle of 'Rim Trail Ale. That was very popular, but I could think of no other beverage I would like to drink less than a beer after dehydrating myself for over 6 hours.
I am looking forward to the next race, and how everyone else did this year. I was initially worried about the fire from last month, but that didn't seem to affect anyone. The course was set up beautifully, marked almost excessively. The aid stations were like little kitchens on the side of the trail, set up at intervals as if they could hear your beckon call and whim. I could have carried half of what I did. I ran from party to party along the trail up in Tahoe this weekend, and am looking forward to next year...maybe I can take another 30-45 minutes of this time yet!

No comments: